Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Activities

Maddox starts his morning with a caramel macchiato and some funnies.
                                                                                              Look what Garfield did, ha ha ha.




                                             Then Maddox had a nice long chat with Uncle Teo.  Actually Uncle Teo was on speaker phone and the moms had a nice ling chat.  But he laid on the bed the whole time with the phone to his ear and laughed and tried to contribute to the conversation.

Then we ran some errands around town and found a some great deals on plants at Lowe's for our front yard.  We have a a flower bed that is in front of the house that is full of bark but has no plants.  It used to have big pieces of driftwood or something.  What ever it was the people that lived here before like it I guess, but I hated it!  The front yard is already landscaped with rock so it needed something ALIVE, not more dead stuff.  So we found some cool shrubs that were a deal and could not pass them up.  Some are red with cute little flowers and some green ones with more cute little flowers.  And yesterday we put in some edging around our trees in the front and filled them in with the pile of bark chips that used to reside in our driveway.  I could not take that pile anymore.  Crazy that it sat in the driveway for 2 months and it took an hour to make the bed to put around the trees.  Another time that procrastination did not pay off. 

But I would like to thank Julie for putting in the shrubs.  Maddox and I took a nice long nap and I woke up to shrubs in the ground, a picked up house and dinner in progress.  She is so good to me!
Here is what we had for dinner. Pork chops on the grill seasoned with "mom's seasoning" (which is a special seasoning that Julie's mom makes that is freaking delicious on anything),  rice pilaf with mushrooms and strawberry salad.  It was very tasty!

                                                Very tasty chops.  On a side note, Baxter also thought they were delicious, or they at least they smelled delicious.  While I was in the living room and before the chops found a home in the fridge I heard the sound of Baxter's collar clinking in a curious way and a "plop" sound.  Yes, that naughty little pooch climbed on the table and grabbed a chop.  I yelled at her and she tried to escape what she thought was surly going to be a beating.  But alas, I don't beat my pets and so I merely yelled at here in the "mean voice" and threw her outside to think about what she had done.  I asked Julie what I should do with the chop.  Her answer, "give it to the dogs".  Um, no, I can't reward that kind of behavior.  So I put it in a baggie in the fridge - they can be rewarded tomorrow when Baxter forget how bad she was.  Poor Gucci, she had to suffer for Baxter's bad behavior.

Here is the salad.  It was fantastic!  Here is the recipe - we find most of our recipes online. Strawberry Salad .  We did some subbing due to lack of ingredients and of course my desire to not go to the store.  We were out of feta so we used mozzarella, we used pecans instead of almonds and I added a little red wine vinegar.  Oh and if you look really carefully you can see some lettuce from our garden.  There are a few spinach leaves from the garden too.  Oh wait lettuce looks like lettuce.  Trust me, some is from our garden.
If I have tome tomorrow I will put some pics of our outdoor handy work.
night

No comments:

Post a Comment