Friday, January 4, 2013

Almost Not Pregnant Anymore - Phew

So, I am 38 weeks pregnant now and TOTALLY ready to get this baby out!  Not only are we all super excited to meet her but come on....9 1/2 months pregnant is no picnic.  Are we ready for her?  Yes!  We have everything she needs to live like a place to sleep, a lovely stack of cloth diapers that I made, plenty of cozy clothes and food to eat (my boobies, lol).  Mentally I know we are going to have a baby again but it is just not real until she gets here.  I worry about things like, how will I get enough sleep, will Maddox have jealousy issues, what do errands look like with 2 kids...in the flippin cold in Chicago?  These are the things that are running through my head as the day get closer.  I know it will be fine, I mean geez, this is only our 2nd kid, but it is a big change for me, so you know....

Surprisingly I am not that worried about the actual birth part. With Maddox I had a C section, a rough one at that, with a nasty recovery.  So this time we decided to do as natural as possible so as to relive as little of that trauma as possible.  : ) When I first got pregnant I started with an OB practice and after talking to several people in the practice and women that go there I found out that they are not too "natural birth" friendly and that another C section was probably in my future.  I quickly changed practices to a group of midwives (who are awesome), hired a doula and we will now be in a hospital that has a very low C section rate.  We will be in what they call an Alternative Birthing Center witch is basically a room on the maternity floor that is controlled by the midwives.  We will have a nice big room with a queen size bed (not an awful tiny, uncomfortable hospital bed), fridge, microwave, be allowed to eat some, a large tub with jets for water birth, birth ball, stool, and other things to allow movement during labor.  I will still have a monitor since I am attempting a VBAC but it is wireless so I can move around and even get in the water.  Hello awesome!  If it happens that I will need C section then they just wheel me across the hall and get 'er done.  So baby and I will be perfectly safe and monitored but still allowed to attempt the birth that we want.  Also we hired a great doula that is also a massage therapist so with all these things we have going fo us I am actually very at ease about going into labor.  I hope it goes the way I want although in the end I want baby and I to be healthy so of course that is top priority.

So wish us luck, send us prayers, happy thoughts or what-have- you, because this is happening soon.
Preferably on Jan 12th bc that is the day our BFF Jamie comes to town and she wants to be there for this grand event! 
Any bets on if Mallory will comply?

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on attempting a VBAC! I had an emergency c-section as well and know how scary that loss of ANY control is...it sounds like you have an awesome team helping you through this labor and delivery! You guys will definitely be in my thoughts over the next few weeks :)

    ReplyDelete